Thursday 26 October 2017

Flour, trains, beaches and samphire

Our last day in Norfolk and it was time to explore the local area. The village of Weybourne has a windmill, which is nicely visible on the horizon as you approach. unfortunately it no longer produces flour or turns.  It looks pretty though.




So we headed off in search of a working mill. and soon found one.

Just past the nearby town of Holt on the A148 we discovered signposts to Letheringsett mill, a fully operational watermill dating back to 1802.



It cost just £3 each to go in and look around and the miller himself was on hand to answer any questions. There was a vast array of flour in the little shop, flour for every occasion it seemed, and a fellow visitor sought advice from the miller regarding her baking needs.  We took the tour and wandered the floors of the mill unattended. 


I do love a good mill, such a powerful beast of a building to supply our daily bread, our food staple. I find the ingenuity of the buildings awe inspiring.

The above drawing shows the layout of the workings


Orders ready for shipping or collection

 The millstones


 Source of all the power


The business end!

After a pleasant couple of hours we headed back to the chalet for lunch, on the way we stopped at the local steam railway station, Weybourne, conveniently next to train buff and former Prime Minister John Major's house. 


 The station has starred in many a TV programme due to it's proximity to London and period restored buildings



Him indoors was delighted to find it was the local railway station in the sitcom Dad's Army where it doubled as Walmington on Sea station

After lunch we drove down the coast again, in search of fresh samphire to try for tea.  We retraced our steps along the coast but before we got to Cley, where I had seen the colourful samphire displays, we came across Salthouse, a small seaside village between Cley and Weybourne. We stopped by a duckpond and I bought some beautifully succulent looking samphire from this little house for £2.50.


Photo courtesy of Google street view.

The samphire looked delicious, and I couldn't wait to get home and try it.



Onwards, we drove around, recounting some of our steps and taking in all the views of Norfolk that we could, trying to remember every detail.

Back at the chalet, I found out how to cook samphire ( blanched in boiling water for a few minutes then tossed in butter) and we had it with pizza. I loved it, it was tender and succulent, OH hated it, as he does all greens!  There was so much in the bag we bought that we were able to bring it home in the cool bag, and as several of the pieces had roots attached, I have some now growing in a pot.

After tea we once again spent a couple of hours on the beach, albeit with heavy heart. Norfolk had been a pleasant surprise and we were blessed with great weather.



   Goodbye Norfolk, you have been relaxing, surprising and enjoyable!

4 comments:

  1. Relaxing, surprising and enjoyable! What more could you ask for.

    Thank you for posting the lovely pics. I especially enjoyed the last photo of the Water at sunset.

    Happy thrifting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you had a wonderful time in Norfolk.
    I love the mill, I do love an industrial building (must be the Black Country in me!) and of course, a vintage railway station- makes me even more excited for India!
    Your bloke sounds like Jon, it's taken me a quarter of a century but he's finally learning to love veg although I don't think he'd try samphire. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely end to your holiday, with a little bit of everything in it. How wonderful that you've found a mill which is still in service, and it's exactly the kind of building I love. I'm very taken with that vintage railway station as well. I've never tasted samphire, but it does look quite delicious. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Result on the samphire!!! I'd love to try it!!! That mill looks super! I also like old stations! They are so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. I'd love it if you left a comment too!